- Recovery & Towing
- Booster Cables, Jump Leads
Booster Cables, Jump Leads
Using Jump Leads Safely
- Follow the manufacturers procedure if you have model specific instructions
- Never attempt to jump start a battery that is leaking or has cracks
- Avoid smoking or naked flames when attempting to jump start
Using Jump Leads
- Check the vehicles are the same voltage, and are close enough together but not touching, to be able to use the jump leads and the ignitions are off
- Use the Red jump lead on the good battery positive terminal and connect to the flat battery positive terminal
- Now connect the black jump lead to the negative terminal on the good battery and then connect the remaining end to a good earthing point on the engine or chassis of the the flat vehicle.
- With everything connected wait 3-4 minutes to equalise the voltages
- Now start the engine on the good vehicle and run for a minute or so. With the engine still running, start the other vehicle and run both for ten minutes on a fast idle speed.
- Do not disconnect the jump leads until you have turned the ignition off both vehicles, then take the jump leads off in the reverse order to how they were connected.
- Do not let the jump leads get hot, Turn off both engines and allow the leads to cool.